The curriculum for our infant class focuses on language and literacy. Receptive language (how a child responds to words and sounds) and expressive language (how a child uses motions and gesture to communicate) compliments the use of sign language for this age group. Cognitive, physical, emotional and social development are also a part of the program goals. An annual orientation to discuss the infants’ curriculum goals for the first year of learning is led by the school’s curriculum advisor and lead teacher.
- This classroom accepts children ages 6 weeks – 12 months.
- The class ratio ranges from 3:1 to 6:1, depending on the time of the day.
- The infants room runs on a structured schedule with a monthly theme.
- Children are exposed to a variety of music, including classical, bluegrass, jazz, rock and children’s songs throughout the day.
- Sign language is used in the classroom, and information is offered to instruct parents and teachers.