The curriculum for our Infant class begins with focus on language and literacy. Receptive language — how a child responds to words and sounds; and expressive language — how a child uses motions and gesture to communicate, compliments the use of sign language for this age group. Cognitive, physical, emotional and social development, are also a natural part of the program goals. An annual orientation to discuss the Infants’ curriculum goals for the first year of learning is led by the school’s curriculum advisor and lead teacher.
- This classroom accepts children ages 6 weeks – 12 months.
- The class ratio ranges from 3:1 to 6:1, depending on the time of the day.
- The Infants Room runs on a structured schedule with a monthly theme.
- Children are exposed to a variety of music, including classical, bluegrass, jazz, rock and children’s songs throughout the day.
- Sign language is used in the classroom and information is offered to instruct parents and teachers.