The Curriculum for our Ones class begins with focus on cognitive development. In this age group, a child’s development is focused on thinking and processing information. Children continue the process of learning through play, exploration and discovery. Introduction to basic concepts, to sounds and to building the foundation for social skills (both familial and personal) are encouraged in this classroom. An annual orientation to discuss the Ones’ curriculum goals for the second year of learning is led by the school’s curriculum advisor and lead teacher.
- This classroom accepts children ages 12 months to 2 years.
- The class ratio ranges from 4:1 to 6:1, depending on the time of the day.
- The Ones Room runs on a structured schedule with a monthly theme.
- Children are exposed to a variety of music including classical, bluegrass, jazz, rock and children’s songs throughout the day.
- Sign language is used in the classroom and training is offered to teachers and parents each summer.