The curriculum for our ones class focuses on cognitive development. In this age group, children develop thinking skills and information processing. Children continue the process of learning through play, exploration and discovery. This class introduces basic concepts; teaches sound-related skills; and encourages the formation of social skills, both familial and personal. An annual orientation to discuss the ones’ curriculum goals for the second year of learning is led by the school’s curriculum advisor and lead teacher.
- This classroom accepts children ages 12 months to 2 years.
- The class ratio ranges from 4:1 to 6:1, depending on the time of the day.
- The ones room runs on a structured schedule with a monthly theme.
- Throughout the day, children are exposed to a variety of music, including classical, bluegrass, jazz, rock and children’s songs.
- Sign language is used in the classroom, and training is offered to teachers and parents each summer.